Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Batteries - Up Voltage

. In my last post I commented that it appeared that it seemed that smaller Battery groups might be better. I commented that the one larger Battery appeared to be having scheduling problems because of the number of men included. Well, the Battery I am in has now added a fifth man, one man shy of the largest group. We have had two Battery meetings since my last post, one that included this fifth man.

. At the first of these two recent meetings we had only three men, the original three. The bonds formed before we started the Battery allow us to settle into personal conversations much more quickly. At the second meeting all five of us were present. It seemed to me that it was easier this time to include both the fourth and fifth man in our conversations about personal matters.
. Interestingly enough, at one point I felt as though the fifth man was prying. This is a man who has endured much adversity, yet he remains faithful to God. He trusts that God will sustain him and provide for his family. A few days later I realized that this is an opportunity to get to know him much better.

. Could it be that the goal of using these Batteries is to educate the men of this congregation? I know that one of the stated goals was to provide an outlet to share with brothers in Christ our thoughts, our fears, and our sins. I know that one goal was that this sharing would allow us to be able to pray with purpose for each other. Now I see that it would have been difficult to share our intimate thoughts and concerns without learning more about each other.
. I think that this is part of God’s plan for us, that we learn to appreciate our brothers in Christ. This Battery that I am part of is helping me to better know and appreciate some of my brothers in Christ. I have been taught this lesson before this time. There is a difference between intellectual knowledge and experience which teaches. This Battery concept is helping me to better appreciate all my brothers and sisters in Christ. I may not have the time, the ability, or the opportunity to come to know all of God’s body as well as I will the men of this Battery. Learning so much more about the men of this Battery is helping me to better appreciate 1 Corinthians 12:22-27. This is an additional blessing, that I learn the lesson that ALL of God’s people are important to Him. It is a blessing that I realize that ALL members of God’s body serve a function. I may not know what each person’s role or purpose may be, but it is enough to know that God assures us that we all have a purpose that is important to Him.

1 Corinthians 12:22-27 22 On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary; 3 and those {members} of the body, which we deem less honorable, on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our unseemly {members come to} have more abundant seemliness, 24 whereas our seemly {members} have no need {of it.} But God has {so} composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that {member} which lacked, 25 that there should be no division in the body, but {that} the members should have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if {one} member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. 27 Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it. (NAS)

No comments: