Thursday, June 01, 2006

Labels

I went to a camp this past weekend for a Family Retreat. It was a wonderful time to fellowship with fellow Christians. Although I was busy most of the time, I did get the opportunity to listen to some of the speakers. J

.. One thing did happen that I want to comment about. During a conversation with a friend he used a label to describe me. I was disturbed that he would label me because I didn’t agree with the label he used. We weren’t able to discuss why he used this particular label, so my irritation was increased. I wanted to defend why I felt his label was wrong!

..Later that evening as I was lying in bed I spent more time thinking about hat had happened. I was trying to decide why his label bothered me. One thought that went through my head was that I didn’t want to be labeled by anybody. I was thinking that I am more than a label!

.. Then it came to me, I am defined by my labels. I am defined not by the labels I want, but by the labels that others use to describe me! I see myself as a husband, a father, a firefighter and a paramedic. These are some of the labels that I would like others to see. The questions that need to be answered are: Do others see me by the same labels? Do others see me as a good husband, as a good father, as a good firefighter, or as a good paramedic?

.. The most important label I aspire to is Christian. This is the most difficult task I have. Following Christ is a difficult task for He was perfection, is perfection. I am just a sinner who fails so often when I try to emulate Christ. Yes, I am redeemed by God’s grace, by the perfect sacrifice of Christ on the cross. But I need to try, every day, to justify His gift. Oh, I know that I could never do anything to earn His gift. Because of this gift of God’s grace I need to act like Christ as best I can so that others can see Christ through me. In following Christ’s example I can be better at all the things I do here in this life that He gave to me.

..

.. I don’t resent the label that my friend used to describe me, for that is how he sees me. (It was not a derogatory label although I don’t understand why he used it. That is a discussion yet to happen.) My desire is that I examine my actions, my thoughts, my prayers, and my walk as a Christian so that others will know me as a follower of Christ. I want others to label me as a Christian. I want others to see the love of my Savior and that they too should endeavor to accept Christ as their Savior.

Mark 8:34 And He summoned the multitude with His disciples, and said to them, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. (NAS)

1 Pet 2:21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps, (NAS)

Acts 11:26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. And it came about that for an entire year they met with the church, and taught considerable numbers; and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch. (NAS)

No comments: